Our Work in Construction & Development
The construction and development industries are complex, and within any construction or development project there are many moving parts. Our construction and development clients trust us to guide them through the complexities involved from the start of a project to the end. We have the expertise necessary to help our clients assess the viability of any new construction or development project, including the interplay of land use and environmental restrictions, and to bring a project from inception to completion, assisting with joint venture or other ownership and development arrangements, property acquisition and due diligence, project finance, land use and other regulatory approvals, construction and other professional services contracts, and the sale or lease of the finished product.
We take pride in advising and counseling our clients and identifying issues before they become problems, and in working to resolve those issues. We most often succeed in doing this by drafting construction contracts and related documents that protect our clients, and by helping our clients navigate the nuanced laws governing the construction and development industry. When adjudication of a dispute is necessary however, our attorneys have years of experience in the courtroom and are fully prepared to defend our clients’ interests in front of a judge or jury. Lawsuits stemming from construction projects often entangle not only owners and contractors, but material suppliers, architects, engineers and construction designers involved in the project. These disputes most often arise in connection with construction defects or design deficiencies, product defects, or construction delays and resulting economic damages. Over the years, our firm has developed an esteemed reputation prosecuting and defending such actions. Our construction attorneys are well respected throughout the industry and have a thorough understanding of the legal principles that impact the construction industry.
Our firm has substantial experience assisting clients in the construction industry, including:
- Preparing acquistion documents and assisting clients with appropriate due diligence (for example, regarding title, environmental, and land use issues)
- Assisting clients with project finance documents (such as loan documents, joint venture or other capital formation documentation)
- Preparing and drafting construction and other project development documents (including agreements with architects, engineers, subcontractors, material suppliers);
- Providing industry-related employment and personnel advice;
- Representing owners, contractors, and other industry professionals in disputes arising from construction and development projects (including payment disputes and lien matters,delay claims and claims associated with workmanship and product liability)
- Forming owners associations for planned communities and other subdivisions, as well as residential and commercial condominiums
- Representing owners in connection with the sale, lease and management of the finished project
We represent clients in many different areas of the construction industry, including:
- Property Owners and Developers
- General Contractors and Subcontractors
- Material Suppliers
- Architects, Engineers, Surveyors and other Construction Industry Professionals